zaterdag 23 september 2017

Bye, Roger




(left to right: Roger Whitworth, me, Simon Whitworth & Jolanda Steenman)

This photo was taken on August 23, 2014. In that year Jolanda and I met Roger for the first time.
It was our annual "SpieringFestival" in Muiden (Holland).
That day my friend Simon introduced us to his father Roger.
We directly had a good click.

Simon is born in England and he lives in Holland for a long time. He is the drummer of the band Callahan, that played before the pub "De Mol" that year. Roger was there to enjoy his son's performance and to drink a lot of pleasant beers with us.
I liked Roger right away. As his friends tell on his FaceBook page, he was a real gentleman and a very charming person.

I am always happy to meet people from Great Britain; not in the last place because then I have an opportunity to prove I can speak English (as all Dutch people like to do, haha)

Roger died a couple of days ago. This fact makes me feel very sad. Sitting at a beer at cafe Ome Ko I received a message on my phone from Wouter Wormhoudt. I was in shock. I couldn't believe it. Last time we met was only two weeks ago at the latest version of the SpieringFestival.


@SpieringFestival, September 9, 2017
Roger, Helen, Ian, Moniek & Wouter

It all came very unexpectedly. For all of us, I think, because Roger passed away in his sleep.
On my request, Wouter drove to Muiden to speak about this news and that night together we had a long evening in the pub for the first time in years.
Roger, thank you for the fine meetings we had. You are now reunited with your beloved Doreen.

Rest in peace, my friend,

Willem Kroon, Muiden, september 23, 2017.


2 opmerkingen: